Novo Nordisk annual report integrates sustainability and business strategy
4 February – Novo Nordisk published its ninth integrated annual report detailing the company’s social, environmental and financial results for 2012. The 2012 report tells a compelling story of how Novo Nordisk’s Triple Bottom Line business principle continues to support the company’s long-term value creation.
Novo Nordisk updated the company’s global access to diabetes care strategy to close the gap between health needs and healthcare supply and has established a goal of reaching an estimated 40 million patients with medical care by 2020.
Novo Nordisk’s 2012 social and environmental performance includes:
• reaching an estimated 23 million people with injectable diabetes care products during 2012, up from 21 million in 2011
• educating or training 1,274,000 healthcare providers to improve diabetes care, up from 835,000 in 2011
• increasing the diversity of senior management teams to 66%, up from 62% in 2011.
• an increase in CO2 emissions from energy consumption of 30% compared to 2011, with an absolute reduction of 44% compared to 2004
• an increase in water consumption of 16% compared to 2011
• an increase in energy consumption of 11% compared to 2011.
The company’s increase in energy and water consumption is directly linked to the increased production volume output. The increase in CO2 emissions from energy consumption is driven by the phase-in of a new filling plant in Tianjin, China and a larger production volume at the main production site in Kalundborg, Denmark.
In the 2012 report, Novo Nordisk’s executive management provides insight into how the company is addressing the challenges of developing insulin in tablet form, the company’s focused approach to global operations, how Novo Nordisk safeguards sustainable growth and how the company manages risk in the pharmaceutical industry.
About Novo Nordisk
Headquartered in Denmark, Novo Nordisk is a global healthcare company with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. The company also has leading positions within haemophilia care, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. For more information, visit novonordisk.com.