adidas Group (FRA:ADS) presents 2013 Sustainability Progress Report - Fair Play
15th April, 2014
The adidas Group published its 2013 Sustainability Progress Report, an annual overview of achievements and challenges as well as a progress update on its 2015 sustainability targets.
This year’s Progress Report differs from previous publications as the company has decided to explain its sustainability programme according to four pillars: People, Product, Planet and Partnership.
Some highlights of the 2013 Sustainability Progress Report are:
- The ’SMS for workers’ project, launched at the end of 2012, was expanded and introduced to a total of five facilities in Indonesia and one in Vietnam, covering almost 35,000 factory workers.
- More than 1,000 local community projects were supported financially or through employee volunteering globally.
- The target of using 15% Better Cotton by 2013 was overachieved as in 2013 the adidas Group sourced more than 23% of all cotton as Better Cotton. The adidas Group has committed to source 100% of cotton across all product categories in all its brands as ‘sustainable cotton’ by 2018.
- Water is a key area of focus for the company. The product offer integrating DryDye fabric has steadily increased, reaching two million yards of DryDye fabric produced by the end of 2013, and saving 50 million litres of water. This game-changing technology will be further rolled out across product ranges.
- New heel counters made out of recycled material will be inserted into 110 million pairs of shoes every year. This will allow 1,500 tonnes of polystyrene waste to be diverted from landfills.
- Energy consumption was reduced at supplier level, also thanks to Energy Management trainings.
- adidas is the official Sponsor, Licensee and Outfitter of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™. In a spirit of transparency, as has been done since the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™, the list of factories manufacturing products for the event has been published.
- The adidas Group has continued to be an active participant in the task forces of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), supporting the development, refinement and completion of the Higg 2.0 Index.
This year's Report is available online as a PDF at http://www.adidas-group.com/en/sustainability/reporting-policies-and-data/sustainability-reports/.
Additional information about the initiatives is available on our adidas Group blog at http://blog.adidas-group.com/
To provide any feedback about the sustainability programme and its reporting, please direct questions and/or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the adidas Group
The adidas Group is a global leader in the sporting goods industry, offering a broad portfolio of footwear, apparel and hardware for sport and lifestyle around the core brands adidas, Reebok, TaylorMade, Rockport and Reebok-CCM Hockey. Headquartered in Herzogenaurach/Germany, the Group employs more than 50,000 people across the globe and generated sales of € 14.5 billion in 2013.